What do I need to take with me for my first appointment with a lawyer?
Posted: 4th May 2016
Posted by: 7thmin985
If you do not have access to any documents, do not think that this is a huge stumbling block. We are able to request disclosure of documents, seek orders requiring disclosure and in other situations issue a subpoena to the source of the documents to circumvent a difficult party. As everything is now stored in computers, there is usually a historical record to assist in putting together any “gaps”.
If you do have financial documents, it would be helpful to bring documents and have information such as:
- A summary of initial contributions by both parties at the commencement of the relationship. Give thought to whether either of you owned a vehicle, a property, had savings and superannuation at the commencement of the relationship.
- What income did you both earn during the relationship?
- Who cared for the children?
- Were there any windfalls or inheritances during the relationship?
- Give thought to how you are going to support yourself in the future and whether one party has a superior earning capacity to the other party.