Best Parenting Practice in a Family Law Matter
Posted: 2nd September 2013
Posted in: News
Posted by: Dean Evans, Partner
For clients involved in a parenting matter, we continually stress the importance of putting the children’s best interests first. Parents who achieve a favourable parenting outcome:
- Demonstrate by their actions that they can be child focused.
- Make decisions based around their child’s needs rather than their own.
- Rise above the conflict between parties.
- Remain rational, calm and centred.
- Develop a child focused parenting plan.
- Demonstrate stability in their personal circumstances and parenting decisions.
- Provide a safe secure and stable environment for their children.
- Be honest in their dealings with the court and others.
- Demonstrate generosity of spirit and flexibility.
- Develop a child-focused parenting plan.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the position of others.
A parent who can acknowledge past mistakes and recognise the need to change behaviour and be committed to changing behaviour are more likely to achieve better outcomes for the long-term well being of their children.