Understand Your Rights

It is unfortunate that the event of separation often gives rise to an incident of Domestic Violence. Relief from Domestic Violence can be sought either through the State Courts or the Federal Courts through the use of family lawyers. 

If you are in immediate danger you should always contact the Queensland Police on 000. They can provide immediate assistance. If the situation is serious they can remove the offending party from the home.

Our team of family lawyers are experienced in domestic violence matters. We regularly represent clients in Domestic Violence cases.

Domestic Violence Lawyers

We are able to assist with the filing of an Application for a Protection Order in the Magistrates Court or an Ouster Order in the Federal Circuit Court. Domestic Violence may also be relevant to parenting and property matters. Whether you are a victim of domestic violence or if you need to defend an application that has been filed against you – we can help.

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence is not limited to physical violence. The legislation defines domestic violence as including:

  • Assault or sexually abusive behaviour.
  • Stalking. 
  • Derogatory taunts.
  • Intentionally causing death or injury to an animal.
  • Unreasonably denying financial independence or financial support. 
  • Damage to property.
  • Exclusion from family and friends.

Interim Orders are made regularly by the Court where there are urgent circumstances without the other party being present.

Practical Tips

  • Report Domestic Violence to the Queensland Police.
  • Your safety and the safety of your children is the priority.
  • Seek legal advice as your situation may be one whereby the other party will be removed from the home and you can have sole use and occupation of the home.

For more information, call us for a FREE initial phone consultation at (07) 5574 1888

Talk to us
Meet the team
Client comments
Case outcomes